Location Kingston upon Thames
Howell-Jones is a fast growing, 80+ employee legal practice with offices across Surrey and Hampshire. We have an exciting opportunity for a Financial Controller to provide structure to the internal financial reporting function and to report to the Operations Director and SMT.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Ensuring the firm’s compliance with the SRA Accounts Rules.
- Preparing and maintaining budgets and cashflow projections and reporting on variations to those to the SMT.
- Preparing monthly management accounts including profit & loss statements, balance sheets, aged creditors, aged debtors, aged WIP & Partners capital/current /drawings accounts.
- Calculating and posting journal entries relating to accruals and prepayments, staff, office and other cost centres.
- Collating data and preparing and presenting reports to the SMT (Senior Management Team), Operations Director or Team Leaders as required.
- Overseeing the firm’s payroll, including checking and processing the payroll through Barclays.Net.
- Calculating and paying PAYE & NI.
- Calculating Partners profit shares & tax retentions.
- Calculating staff bonuses.
- The preparation and submission of VAT returns and the payment of VAT.
- Liaising with the firm’s accountants.
- Providing backup and holiday cover to either the legal accounts or purchase ledger functions.
Skills and experience required
- SRA Accounts Rules & legal cashiering experience.
- Experience of working in a £4m+ t/o environment.
- have excellent IT skills and experience of the Tikit P4W case management application or a willingness to learn it
- Experience of Excel (essential) and SQL (desirable).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a flexible hands on approach.
- A strong work ethic and attention to detail.
Please send CV (including home address, telephone number and references if available) with salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Howell-Jones LLP is committed to providing equal opportunities and to avoiding unlawful discrimination in employment. The firm intends that no job applicant shall receive less favourable treatment because of their gender, sex, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, colour, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability or age.